As Junior Delegate for RUSVM, I was sent information from the editor of the official online publication of SAVMA (Student American Veterinary Medical Association), The Vet Gazette, asking me to encourage our students to submit their entries for the following categories:
- Cases and Abstracts
- Creative Corner (anything creative, pictures/poems/etc)
- Foot in Mouth Disease (funny stuff/jokes)
- Life As a Vet Student (topic on how to maintain relationships while in school)
- Trivia (answer a vet related trivia question)
- Experiences (general-something that contributed to veterinary experience)
- Forum (write your opinion on a given topic/question)
- Letter to the Editor
I posted flyers around the school and since the submissions were to be sent directly to the editor of the publication, I have no idea how many people actually sent in entries. I entered two of my blog posts, just for the fun of it, on the day of the deadline. One, was for “Creative Corner”, in which I entered “The Water” along with a picture of shipwreck beach. The other was the post called, “Happy As a Bird With a French Fry” and I submitted it to the “Life As a Vet Student” category.
A few weeks after sending them (today), I received an email congratulating me for my “best post in the ‘Creative Corner’ category!” Turns out, I won a cash prize for my work and it will be published in the Vet Gazette’s next online issue. Also, since the “creativity and skill” of all submissions impressed the editor, she decided to post all of the other entries, and not just the prize winners. So, I am proud to say that two of my blog posts will actually be featured as entries in The Vet Gazette!
That is all :o)
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~T. Roosevelt